Monday, July 1, 2013

Greens for Breakfast?

     It may be hard to see yourself sitting down to a plate of greens and eggs in the morning but let me tell you it is a great way to get your day started. Greens are full Beta Carotene, Vitamins A &C excellent sources of antioxidants. Also a good source of folate, vitamin K and Lutein. That is how I start several mornings a week. I chop and saute greens in less than 10 minutes. If you plan ahead just a little, you can be enjoying them too.
      There's two ways to do this. When in season I love fresh spinach, kale, bok choy, collards and swiss chard. Sometimes I mix several greens together, others times one by itself. For this meal my girlfriend kindly let me raid her garden of bok choy, kale and collards. But, when these are not available I turn to Walmart. There, I said it. I do shop Walmart for certain things. They carry a specific bag of mixed greens by New Star that has spinach, bok choy, baby red and green chard already clean and ready to cook. (I always rinse them) These are a staple in my diet.
     This is how it's done. For one large helping, If fresh, I chop 2  or3 large leaves of each green very thin with or without their stems. If using the bagged variety I use 3 or 4 handfuls. Greens cook down to 1/4 their original size. Set aside. In a frying pan of a tbsp. of olive oil, I chop 2 cloves garlic, maybe a little onion and brown. Then add 1/2 cup of chicken stock or Swanson's 99% fat free/no MSG stock and blend. Add the chopped greens, tossing them so they become evenly coated with the mixture. Sometimes, I cook 2 pieces of bacon, remove bacon and pour off all but a tbsp. or two of the grease. Then use this as my base for sautéing the garlic, onion and greens. Pines nuts are a tasty addition too. If you've never eaten greens in the morning, this is a great way to ease yourself into them. When greens are done cooking I chop the bacon into pieces and mix in. Then sprinkle feta cheese on top. Plate it and garnish with an egg over easy. Yummy yum yum!
     Greens aren't just for breakfast either. They make a nice side with any animal protein. Larry likes these with a spoonful of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies mix in or with his favorite stand by for all foods, hot sauce.
      Try them and tell me how you like em'.

7 comments:

  1. I love greens for breakfast too! That looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greens really ARE for anytime, and breakfast is a great time to get started eating your veggies for the day. Greens are great, just by themselves, no need to mess them up with "enticements" like bacon. (Just a personal view, I know, but I don't think pork is good for you, and I DO think if you learn to appreciate the tastes of the various veggies, maybe with a little garlic, onion, and olive oil, it is a real treat) On the other hand, a LITTLE bacon may not hurt, if necessary..... Your "greens breakfast" does look super good!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love my bacon. It is hard to let go. But, that really was for those who aren't used to eating greens or veggies at all. IF I can encourage someone to eat a helping of greens with a tad of bacon verses Frosted flakes, and a donut or toaster strudels and pop tarts, then I vote for the much lesser of the two evils. But I get your point Jo.

      Delete
    2. Instead of bacon, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in small saute pan on medium. Add 2 Tbsp diced onion. Cook until tender. Toss in 1 1/2 cups rinsed baby spinach, not drained, 1/4 tsp minced garlic and a pinch of sea salt (or season to taste). Cover, cook on low until tender.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Anonymous. I do eat spinach like this a lot too. Very tasty.

      Delete
  3. I love the turkey burger smothered in grilled onions, mushrooms and green peppers. Looks yummy. Do you recommend specific type of turkey meat? PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK, I don't have preference but have heard people like Jenny O. I think it's hormone free.

      Delete